Pals - Its Drupal's Now
After a Very Long Time, Indeed.
Lets Move on,
Drupal is a free software package that allows an individual or a community of users to easily publish, manage and organize a wide variety of content on a website. Tens of thousands of people and organizations are using Drupal to power scores of different web sites, including -> Community web portals -> Discussion sites -> Corporate web sites -> Intranet applications -> Personal web sites or blogs -> Aficionado sites -> E-commerce applications -> Resource directories -> Social Networking sites.
Drupal adds Glamour to itself by providing these add-on services as well -> Electronic commerce -> Blogs -> Collaborative authoring environments -> Forums -> Peer-to-peer networking -> Newsletters -> Podcasting -> Picture galleries -> File uploads and downloads.
Installing and Configuring Drupal on your local computer
1. Install Xampp
2. Download Latest Drupal 6.15
1. Open the c:\xampp\htdocs folder
2. Create a subfolder. For this example, we'll call it "drupal" (C:\xampp\htdocs\drupal).
3. Extract the downloaded drupal files and folder into this folder.
Make sure the unpacked Drupal folders and files are in the directory called "drupal" as above and are not in something like (C:\xampp\htdocs\drupal\drupal-6.14)
4. Copy the file "c:\xampp\htdocs\drupal\sites\default\default.settings.php" file to the same directory, and name it "settings.php".
You should now have two identical files in your "c:\xampp\htdocs\drupal\sites\default" folder: one called "settings.php" and one called "default.settings.php".
5. Decide on a password for your administrator (root) account. Let's say you choose "root"
6. Open the file "c:\xampp\htdocs\drupal\sites\default\settings.php" in your Editor
a. $db_url = 'mysql://username:password@localhost/databasename'; to $db_url = 'mysql://root:user@localhost/drupal';
b. Then you will have to delete the "#" at the beginning of this line.
# $base_url = 'http://www.example.com'; to $base_url = 'http://localhost/drupal';
7. Browse to http://localhost/security and search for “http://localhost/security/xamppsecurity.php” in that page.Now enter the password “password”. Stop and restart MySQL in the XAMPP control panel (takes ten seconds).
8. Browse to http://localhost/phpmyadmin. Log in with "root" and your password. Don't do anything except create a new database, for this example we'll call it "drupal". Type "drupal" (without the " marks!) in the box marked "Create new database" and click on the button "Create" just to the right of it. You should get a screen confirming the database has been created.
9. Open browser and Browse to http://localhost/drupal/install.php and follow the simple instructions
a. In Configure site page, you can enter anything.
name : localhost
email : email@Website.com
admin name : admin
password : pwd
Other things should be left as default
10. Now you will get ‘finish’ page with some error.Dont worry! just ignore it!
11. Your website is ready browse to http://localhost/drupal/
Go on here for a video tutorial about Drupal themes
There are numerous Modules available for Drupal, Find them here